How to use the Trulicity pen
Trulicity comes in an easy-to-use pen that’s activated with the click of a button.
In a study, 94% of people said the Trulicity pen was easy to use.
Trulicity comes in 2 doses—one with a yellow label (0.75 mg), the other with a blue label (1.5 mg). Your healthcare provider will tell you which is right for you.
Watch a video on how to use the Trulicity pen
In this video, you’ll get step-by-step instructions on how to use your Trulicity pen. Learn about choosing your injection site, injecting, and safely disposing of your pen.
Please remember to review the Important Safety Information at the end of this video.
This video should be used as a reminder of your healthcare provider's training and the Instructions for Use included with your pen and does not replace them.
Using your Trulicity pen
Read the Instructions for Use included with your pen for more information on how to deliver your Trulicity dose.
Select a spot on your body
- Your healthcare provider can help you choose the injection site that is best for you
- You may inject the medicine into your stomach (abdomen) or thigh
- Another person may give you the injection in your upper arm
- Change your injection site each week. You may use the same area of your body, but be sure to choose a different injection site in that area
Select Safety Information
If you are using another medicine that can cause low blood sugar (such as insulin or a sulfonylurea) while taking Trulicity, your risk for getting low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) may be higher. Signs and symptoms of low blood sugar may include dizziness, blurred vision, anxiety, irritability, mood changes, sweating, slurred speech, hunger, confusion or drowsiness, shakiness, weakness, headache, fast heartbeat, or feeling jittery. Talk to your healthcare provider about low blood sugar and how to manage it.
Storing your Trulicity pen
- Store your pen in the refrigerator, but do not freeze your pen. When refrigeration is not possible, you can keep your pen at room temperature (below 86°F, 30°C) for up to a total of 14 days
- Store Trulicity away from light. It's best to keep Trulicity pens in their original carton until you are ready to use them
- For complete information about proper storage, read the Instructions for Use
Disposing of your Trulicity pen
- The Trulicity pen should be properly disposed of in a closable, puncture-resistant sharps container, even though there is no need to see or handle the needle
- If you do not have access to a sharps container, try using an alternative puncture-resistant container with a secure lid that’s large enough to hold the Trulicity pen, like an empty laundry detergent bottle or coffee can. If you choose to use your own alternative container to dispose of your pens, refer to regulations in your area for how to dispose of the container properly. Remember to keep your sharps container out of reach from children and pets
- It's also important to dispose of your sharps containers safely when they are full. For information on how to dispose of sharps containers properly, refer to regulations in your area, call your local trash or public health department, visit fda.gov/safesharpsdisposal, or see the Instructions for Use included with your Trulicity pen
What happens if you miss a dose?
It’s a good idea to take Trulicity regularly on the same day of the week, every week. If you forget to take your dose on your usual Trulicity Day, here’s what to do:
*This is an example only. You may choose the best time of day for your weekly Trulicity dose.
When to take your dose:
TAKE the missed dose as soon as possible if there are at least 3 days (72 hours) until your next Trulicity day.
When to skip your dose:
SKIP the missed dose if there are less than 3 days remaining and take your next dose on your regularly scheduled Trulicity day.